Over the course of the last week or so I came across this list that actually describes behaviour that indicates high and low self-esteem. Take a look and see where you might fall.
People with High Self-Esteem
1. Take responsibility for their action own feelings and behaviour; avoid blaming and excuses.
2. Take compliments graciously.
3. Listen to criticisms without anger or defensiveness.
4. Give praise and compliments frequently.
5. Take good care of selves physically; avoid self destructive behaviour.
6. Accept those things that can’t be changed; age, body type, height, etc.
7. Make decisions internally from own set of values.
8. Take emotional risks; are willing to fail or look foolish.
9. Assume they are likable and pleasant to be around.
10. Have a good sense of humor; delight in irony and humor that doesn’t make fun of people or their pain.
11. Are happy about the accomplishments of others; give encouragement and confidence to others.
12. Reach out to others and make contacts.
13. Accept mistakes as part of living; try again or try something new.
14. Listen openly to the feelings, thoughts and ideas of others.
15. Accept and give sexual and sexual pleasure.
16. Are attractive to and nourished by cooperative positive people.
17. Focus on the here and now and concentrate on those things that can be controlled
People with Low Self-Esteem
1. Blame others; attribute their emotions to others.
2. Deny compliments, act suspicious of them, feel manipulated by them.
3. Criticize and pass judgment.
4. Withhold appreciation and compliments.
5. Allow self-destructive behaviour to continue.
6. Complain and apologize about things that can’t be changed.
7. Mold to external pressures; needs constant assurance.
8. Needs situations to be safe and predictable; want to always look good and be right.
9. Assume they are liked and imagine that others secretly criticize them.
10. Are amused by humor that makes others look ridiculous.
11. Look for failure in others; call attention to others failures; predict gloom.
12. Wait for others to approach; blame others for being unfriendly.
13. Expect or demand perfection in self and others.
14. Argue. Preach, nag, and criticize.
15. Without pleasure from self and others.
16. Chose toxic, hurtful relationships.
17. Are disabled by guilt, remorse regret and worry.